A home based business has many obvious benefits. So, it’s no wonder that many people dream about the freedom and luxury of working for themselves…..from home.
What stops most people though are at least two key questions:
- What kind of business am I suited to operate?
- How do I get started?
In this article I want to help provide answers to these two questions.
Most people have expertise in something!
Think broadly about the various areas in your life and try to idenify where you have developed a certain level of knowledge or skill.
Most probably you won’t have to think too hard….. you’ll know deep down in the pit of your stomach exactly what that thing is that you’re good at doing.
And, while you might discover that you are great at doing a lot of things the ones that are most likely to stand out will be the things you enjoy doing.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
This “something” could be related to:
- skills or knowledge you’ve developed in the job you do now, or from work you have done in the past
- a hobby or interest that you have
- a sport you play
- any area of specialised knowledge you’ve developed
- the application of a particular skill, or set of skills that you possess
Having clarified that special something, have you ever considered that you could turn that capability or area of knowledge into cash?
If not, stay with me here while we explore the idea of coaching others in your area of expertise and operating this as a home based business.
The demand for online coaching
coaching hAs you can see from the image of a Google search I did just for this article, there is a tremendous demand for online coaching services.
We live in the information age, and people are hungry for information.
What’s more, they are prepared to pay for right kind of quality information
Just to get you thinking, you can see from this short list below that there are coaches in almost every niche imaginable, including…
- Weight loss
- Exercise (personal training)
- Healthy eating and nutrition
- Starting a business
- Becoming a better salesperson
- Becoming a better parent
- Becoming a better spouse
- Dating and relationships
- Learning a new language
- Overcoming an addiction
- Having more confidence
- Almost anything else you’re good at!
Coaching clients online is not difficult. It is as simple as…
- Identifying where the client is with their level of knowledge or skill, and how far they have to go to reach their goals.
- Setting higher standards for them than they would have set for themselves.
- Showing them how to build a coaching model structure for success.
- Giving them the support that they might be lacking.
- Recommending the right tools to make changes.
Start a home based business as an online coach
Hopefully you’ve identified that there just might be some skill or area of knowledge that you have that you could turn into a coaching opportunity.
The next thing to consider then is how to operate your coaching business.
One of the easier types of coaching businesses you can create is to set it up online.
Having an online based business also means it is very easy to operate from home.
Consider some of the options that are available to deliver your services online. For example:
By email – this is the simplest method, especially if you are offering one-to-one coaching services. All you need to do most of your coaching by email is a free email address (e.g. gmail, hotmail) and a good autoresponder service.
Use Skype – this is a way of making free video and voice calls over the internet. You can work one-to-one, or with groups, and be in touch with clients anywhere in the world.
Facebook Groups – a Facebook group is very easy to set up. Obviously you need a Facebook account. After you have logged in look for the “Explore” menu heading on the left hand side of the page, and then under that click on the word “Groups” and then follow the prompts. If you’re charging for your coaching then make your group a secret group.
Create and sell eBooks – there are some terrific eBook building programs out there today where you can easily convert existing blog posts and Word documents into attractive eBooks.
Video coaching – this can be done in either real time, or by distributing videos that you’ve pre-recorded. You can do this with YouTube, Facebook Live, or with paid video hosting services such as Vimeo.
There are numerous other ways to develop and distribute your coaching content but the above list of options will at least get you started in your home based business.
Who would benefit from setting up an online coaching home based business?
You will of course need a reason to do this, because there IS work involved.
A home based business built around providing coaching and related services would probably suit people who:
- Are looking for a way to break out of the 9-5 routine of working for a boss
- Want to break free of their current job or occupation
- Want the flexibility that an online business offers e.g you can work from anywhere
- Are in retirement and want to remain active, involved, useful
- Wish to replace the income they receive in their job or career with an online income
- Are looking to make additional income, including the possibility of creating a passive income for themselves
Summary – Online coaching as a home based business
Most people are good at something which means they have developed a certain level of specialised skill or knowledge
Today’s technology and the internet means that it is possible to turn that ‘something’ into cash by setting yourself up as a coach.
As we have seen, there is enormous demand for a huge range of online coaching services, and it can be fairly easy to set yourself up as an online coach operating as a home based business.